Sleep Apnea Dentist – Powell, OH
Meet Dr. Shelley D. Shults, CNP, DDS, D.ABDSM
Dr. Shelley is quadruple board-certified as a registered nurse, a general dentist, a family nurse practitioner, and a dental sleep medicine practitioner. She’s also a diplomate of The American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine. She is the full-time owner of two private practices-- one is a general and cosmetic dental practice, "Powell Dental Group," and the second is a dental sleep medicine provider called "Powell Dental Sleep Solutions."
Education & Background
Dr. Shelley is a graduate of Wichita State University and obtained her Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 1982. Her nursing career experience includes neonatal nursing, community health nursing, family practice, internal medicine nursing, urgent care nursing, and out-patient surgery nursing. She went on to graduate from The Ohio State University with a Doctorate of Dental Surgery degree in 2001 and obtained her MATRx certification in sleep apnea in 2013. She was board-certified by the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine in 2015 and was awarded diplomate status by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine in 2015. Then, in 2017, she graduated with high honors with a Masters of Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner degree from South University
Thanks to her education, experience, and the coupling of both her medical and dental expertise, Dr. Shelley has a passion for advancing interdisciplinary relationships in sleep medicine that are consistently patient-centered. After 35 years of juggling different disciplines, she was determined to personally obtain an education that allowed her to provide comprehensive oral-systemic and holistic care. Her ultimate goal is to sustain her private practices with a patient-centered focus and unbiased treatment excellence.
Recognized Lecturer & Sleep Apnea Expert
Dr. Shelley’s skills regarding sleep dentistry are widely regarded as on the level of a true expert. She regularly lectures about the dangers of sleep apnea and is very passionate about teaching dental professionals how to help patients with this dangerous health condition. She is an Expert for the Ohio State Dental Board for Dental Sleep Medicine and is currently working on helping them rewrite their policies so that dentists are required to have a proper scope of specialized education and practice before they are cleared to provide sleep apnea care.
- The American Dental Association
- The Ohio Dental Association
- The Columbus Dental Society
- The American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- The American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- The American Sleep and Breathing Academy
- The Greater Columbus Society of Contemporary Dentists
- The American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- The American Academy of Oral Systemic Health
Awards & Nominations
- The Delta Dental Award
- The American College of Prosthodontics Award
- The Lewis and Richard Bausch Memorial Award
- The Pierre Fauchard International Academy of Merit Award
- The American Academy of Dental Practice Administration Award
- The James “Fuzzy” Marquard Memorial Award
- The International Paul Harris Fellow Award
- The CDS Humanitarian Award Nomination
- Paul Harris Fellowship Rotarian Award
- The March of Dimes 2016 Nurse of the Year Award
- Columbus Top Dentists Award 2011-2018 Columbus Monthly
Life at Home
In her spare time, Dr. Shelley enjoys playing the piano and trumpet, cooking, taking pictures, reading, swimming, travelling, and raising her backyard chickens. She and her husband Kip have been married for 44 years, and they have one daughter, Krista, and three grandchildren. Their daughter is the office manager of both practices!